Tuesday 16 August 2011

Squatty Potty!

The term my daughter uses to identify the traditional japanese toilet is "Squatty Potty".  Now, things you should know; the toilet found in many public areas (especially older establishments) is a porcelain toilet placed in the floor, you can flush it, you can poop in it if need be, but the most important piece of information you need to know is that you must squat over the hole in the floor to do you business.
So, one afternoon we found ourselves in a train station and as always my little girl HAD to go potty.  So we found the closest one and walked in.  I have heard of the traditional toilet by this point, but I had yet to see one and I certainly do not know how to use it properly.  I began by explaining to the girl what she must do.  I helped her to pull her pants down to her ankles (mistake #1) and tried to hold her, and her pants, up to use the toilet.  Safe to say by the time we figured out how to use it her pants were completely off.
Since this lovely introduction to the japanese toilet, I have learned that you only need to pull your pants down to your knees then squat and hold your pants out of the way.  It has become the girl's favorite thing and my most dreaded thing.  She likes to say "Mom I got to use the "squatty potty".   I have not yet had the opportunity to try it myself, but I can see very BAD things happening when I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment