Saturday 6 August 2011

Ending week number 3

It is amazing how much information can be thrown at you all in one week.  This week consisted of AOB classes or Area Orientation Brief Classes.  There was a lot of useful info and the week ended with a written test for a drivers license.  I have passed this part of the test, but cannot start driving until I pass the driving test next wednesday.   I feel like I am sixteen again waiting to take the drivers test for the first time.  The only difference is I will not get to try to drive on the left hand side of the road until I am actually taking the test.  Wish me luck on that one.
On Thursday, part of our class was to learn about getting around in Japan.  They took us by bus to the train station where we rode the train to Kamakura.  It is a very famous city with a shrine and a Budda.  Because of the class the kids were in childcare for the day.  It was really nice to spend sometime with my hubby.  We actually had a conversation from start to finish!
We enjoyed a traditional lunch with tempura, miso soup, rice, and pickled plum.  It was very good.  We then headed off to the shrine.  By the time we made it to the top (60 steps to the top),  we were hot and sweaty.  Now, that is not to say we weren't already hot and sweaty.  The temperature and humidity that day was awful.   We managed to make it back to the base in time to pick up the kids, but we were praying for bedtime to come soon.  It had been a very long day.
We are still on the hunt for a house.  We think we have found one.  My hubby and I are unsure about the locality.  It seems to be a bit of a drive.  It is a big house for a japanese house and it has two parking spots.  Another good point is the road the house is positioned on is quiet, so the kids can ride bikes.  There are so many different things to consider when choosing a house.  There is a part of me that is hoping base housing will come through so our choice will be easier.  Oh well, it is what it is and we will keep searching.
Today, we went to visit a preschool.  It was very interesting to see how a japanese preschool is structured.  The principal of the school talked for a long time.  I got NONE of what she said, but my hubby said we can figure out most of it later.  Have I mentioned I love my hubby.  I am especially loving his language skills lately!  Anyhow, we are not sure this is the right school for the boy and with his dietary restrictions, we will probably keep looking for a school where lunch is brought.  But one very cool thing about that school was the school bus that would pick him up everyday is designed like a choo choo train.
That brings us to tonight.  There was a friendship festival on base today.  Tonight we went to the other side of the base and enjoyed some music and food.  The festival was finished off with fireworks.  I was shocked at how much it made me miss home.
All and all a very busy week over. It was fun and I am glad to say next week looks more like a shopping week with only a few commitments.

No comments:

Post a Comment